Software Engineer, Wireless Networking
Location: Cambridge, MA or Santa Barbara, CA
We're a global team looking for the best talent - no matter where they are. This job has the option of working from either our Cambridge, MA or Santa Barbara, CA office. For the right individual, Sonos will offer relocation reimbursement to either office.
At Sonos we are passionate about creating and delivering the finest HiFi audio systems in the world to our customers. Our products stream all the music on earth, in every room, wirelessly, and you control it all from the palm of your hand. As Software Engineer on the Wireless Networking Team, you will be responsible for enhancing and maintaining the industry’s most innovative embedded audio processing and networking solution for streaming audio around the home. You will work with some of the brightest minds in the business across multiple disciplines of software, hardware, acoustics and WiFi technologies. You will have fun and innovate every day in our fast paced and creative environment. If you love music, solving challenging software problems, and doing things the right way every time, we’d like to talk to you!
As a software engineer on the wireless networking team, you will be responsible for enhancing and maintaining the industry’s most innovative networking solution for streaming audio around the home.
- Use your knowledge of the C programming language, Linux kernel mode development, and network device drivers, to add support to Sonos products for the latest, highest performing wireless networking hardware.
- Use your understanding of IEEE 802.11, Ethernet, and network organization and routing algorithms, to improve the performance of SonosNet, and scale its mesh networking algorithms to larger and more complex networks.
- Work with the rest of the Player software development team to understand the audio streaming application software being built on top of SonosNet, and suggest ways in which the higher level software may make most efficient use of the underlying network.
- Collaborate with software engineering and user experience teams to design and deliver unique, innovative new features that delight our customers.
- Work closely with the Hardware and System Software teams to optimize Sonos platform performance, maintaining our market position as the most advanced audio hardware system in the world.
- Provide Sonos Customer Support technical assistance such as training and debugging problems in the field.
- Expert C and C++ developer, with strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience with developing, optimizing and maintaining embedded systems.
- Strong knowledge of one or more of the following:
- Linux kernel development and debugging.
- TCP/IP networking internals.
- IEEE 802.11/WiFi or wireless mesh networking.
- Experience using formal development processes and tools.
- Track record of shipping reliable, extensible and maintainable software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Thrives in fast-paced, results oriented environment
- 5+ years of experience in software development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or related discipline.